Sea Turtle, Inc. (Private) | https://seaturtleinc.org/
Mandatory End Date: August 15th, 2024
Deadline to Apply: January 3, 2024
Sea Turtle, Inc. is a non-profit organization with a four tiered mission that focuses on the conservation and applied research, medical care, and education surrounding all sea turtle species. Within our facility we offer a variety of both paid and public programming to audiences of all ages. The ideal candidate for our Education Internship will have a strong interest in environmental education and be passionate about teaching people about the importance of sea turtle conservation. Candidates will be expected to interact with the public on a daily basis, assist in all types of education programming, and help provide information on our current rehabilitation and conservation efforts.
● Develop and conduct 15 minute Turtle Talk presentations that focus on our facility, threats that sea turtles face, and what you can do to help, to large audiences of varying ages.
● Develop and implement an educational program for our Summer Camps
● Conduct Feeding Presentations to large audiences of varying ages, which help teach people about our current patients and residents.
● Assist with and conduct one-day Summer Camp programs for both elementary and secondary grade levels
● Assist with and conduct Onsite Educational Field Trips for grades K-12th, as well as college students and adult groups
● Assist with and conduct Outreach Programs for people of all ages, in schools and for various community groups
● Assist with and Conduct Virtual Learning Programs over Zoom to classrooms and other organizations.
● Assist with special events at the Facility
● Work in the Education Museum, Resident Hall, and Hospital as Exhibit Interpreters interacting with guests through our Education Carts and answering questions.
● Assist with Public Hatchling Releases and Patient Releases
● Assist with Admissions in the Education Museum
● Assist with Gift Shop and our Kiosk by promoting membership and adoption packages, operating registers, pricing, and restocking inventory
● Provide guests with supplemental information about the life cycle of sea turtles, current rehabilitation practices in our hospital, nesting season updates, enrichment practices, and threats that sea turtles face in the wild.
● Experience in environmental science, environmental education or marine biology
● Bilingual English/Spanish speakers are preferred, but not required
● Flexible daily schedule with the ability to work weekends, split shifts, and some evenings as required
● Excellent communication and writing skills
● Ability to adapt quickly and work in high pressure situations
● Strong public speaking skills
● Self-motivated and able to work independently and with a team
● Basic computer skills
● A desire to learn
● Positive attitude
General Information: Applicants must be college graduates in education, biological science, wildlife and fisheries science, environmental science, or other related fields. U.S. citizenship or a permit to work in the U.S. is required. Applicants must be 18 years of age or older, hold a valid U.S. driver's license, and pass a criminal background check. Interns must be comfortable working in adverse weather conditions.
Benefits/Housing: Shared housing is provided on South Padre Island, Texas with a $35 per workday stipend.
Housing is air-conditioned and equipped with basic furniture, Wi-Fi, and kitchen supplies. Please note, pets are not allowed in housing. Food and transportation are not provided. Personal vehicle is not required on the island.
How to Apply: Visit seaturtleinc.org/jobs
Be prepared to provide the following information: Contact Information; Cover Letter/Resume in this field or adjacent field and prepare to answer the following two questions
● What excites you most about the internship at Sea Turtle Inc
● What uniquely qualifies you for this position